Elijah McClain’s family settle federal civil rights lawsuits

The family of Elie mcclain settled a federal civil rights lawsuit two years after McClain was killed during an encounter with police.

The city of Aurora, Colorado, and McClain’s family settled the lawsuit for an undisclosed amount on Monday, KUSA-TV reports. It happened more than a year after the family filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado.

McClain died on August 27, 2019, five days after suffering cardiac arrest following a confrontation with police officers in Aurora. McClain was walking home from the store with iced tea and listening to music on his headphones when cops approached him in response to a “suspicious person” report.

According to the lawsuit, McClain was subjected to “brute force” by the cops and then sedated with ketamine for a so-called medical condition called “excited delirium.” New York Daily News reports.

“Elijah was listening to music, enjoying the short walk from the corner store with iced tea when police in Aurora grabbed, tackled and assaulted him,” the costume said.

During the violent encounter, McClain pleaded with the officers to tell them he was introverted and “please respect the boundaries I’m talking about,” he said. Officers used a carotid take on McClain, and after first responders arrived, they gave him a sedative.

McClain went into cardiac arrest in the hospital ambulance and died five days later. His death sparked outrage nationwide and was included in the victims’ protesters defended in the Black Lives Matter 2020 movement.

In August 2020, the McClain family filed a lawsuit against the city, three police officers, two paramedics and the medical director of Aurora Fire Rescue, accusing them of violating McClain’s rights when they used a choke. and injected him with ketamine.

“The City of Aurora and the family of Elijah McClain reached a tentative settlement agreement over the summer to resolve the lawsuit filed after her tragic death in August 2019,” said Ryan Luby, deputy director of communications from the city of Aurora.

“City leaders are ready to sign the agreement as soon as family members complete a separate but related award process to which the city is not a party,” Luby said. “Until these issues are resolved and the agreement is in its final form, the parties cannot disclose the terms of the settlement. No amount was discussed during the court’s recent telephone hearing. “

The settlement comes a month after an investigation determined that Aurora police displayed racial prejudice when they approached McClain.

Previous Afghan women judges and lawyers now fear for their lives
Next News from WTSA for your Friday October 22:

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.