A $1.6 million lawsuit is the latest development in the ongoing garbage contract dispute in Jackson, Mississippi.
WAPT-TV reported Friday that Richard’s Disposal filed a lawsuit in US District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi on Wednesday seeking more than $1.6 million in restitution. The New Orleans-based company has been collecting garbage in Jackson since April 1 but has yet to be paid because the Jackson City Council said the company does not have an approved contract.
Earlier this week, a judge ruled that the mayor of the Mississippi capital did not have the power to veto a contract that the city council had not approved. Judge Larry Roberts issued his decision Friday in a dispute between Jackson officials over who will be paid to pick up trash, news outlets reported.
“There is nothing there to veto. The board did not affirmatively adopt the question. He dismissed it,” said Roberts, a retired Mississippi Court of Appeals judge who was appointed to hear the case in Hinds County Chancery Court.
Jackson City Council filed a lawsuit after Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba issued an emergency order to award a garbage collection contract to Richard’s Disposal.
The board had repeatedly voted against awarding the contract to the company.