BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD) – Black Voters Matter, along with a coalition of local and national civil rights and voting organizations will stage a redistricting takeover in the state of Louisiana beginning Feb. 8.
The takeover will take place during the first extraordinary session of the 2022 legislature for redistricting.
This two-day statewide event will be a bus tour that will include an outreach caravan to raise awareness of the upcoming redistricting session, a cheer rally in Baton Rouge to mobilize students and members of the community, and ending with a press conference on the steps of the Louisiana State Capitol building.
The takeover will culminate in a day of action in Baton Rouge where grassroots organizations from Monroe, Shreveport, Lafayette, the West Bank, Baton Rouge and other parts of the state are expected to come together, testify before the commissions of House and Senate government affairs, and meet with legislators.
Historically, the redistricting process led to the disenfranchisement of black communities in Louisiana. This year is no different as the HGA adjourned after seeing more than 200 black people from across the state in the opening session. Efforts to block testimony and public participation are increasing during this special session. Overall, blacks make up nearly a third of Louisiana’s population, but only one of the state’s six U.S. House seats is in a majority-black district.
Here is a list of organizations that will participate in the takeover:
- All the streets, all the people (ASAP)
- A new chapter PUSH
- Baton Rouge NAACP
- Black Voters Matter
- CitizenSHE United
- change color
- Class Act, Inc.
- GRAE (Growth of Real Alternatives Everywhere)
- Honor our ancestors
- Louisiana housing
- Jeremy Group
- Kingdom in action
- Rule Louisiana
- NAACP Baton Rouge
- NAACP Lafayette
- Possibility to restore
- People’s Promise Youth Division
- Power Coalition for Equity and Justice
- United Ballot PAC
Calendar of events for the recovery:
Tuesday, February 8 | Monroe, Baton Rouge
- 6:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. CT: Interstate Outreach Caravan (starting in Monroe)
- 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. CT: The Takeover Rally (TBA location, Baton Rouge)
Wednesday February 9 | Red Stick
- 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. CT: Press conference (Louisiana State Capitol Building, 900 N 3rd Street B170, Baton Rouge)
- 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. CT: Takeover Luncheon (McKinley Alumni Center, 1520 Thomas H. Delpit Drive, Baton Rouge, LA 70802)